Saturday, December 24, 2016

I'm moving from discovery to discovery

One of my sisters once said that she recalled me, coming home to Grafton from the start of my new life as a university student, talking about my encounter with theories of Sigmund Freud. That sounded like an exaggeration on the part of my sister, because I had never (up until now) been attracted by anything to do with Freud and theories of the mind of a psychoanalytical kind.

More recently, an anonymous individual sent me this message, which I promptly ignored, because I failed to understand what the sender was trying to say to me:


Today, I understand at last that I've been stupidly shunning one of the most amazing discoveries of all time. Consequently I'm engaged in a crash course to pick up all the stuff I've deliberately ignored.

Strangely, I don't even regret my ignorance about the workings of the human mind and memories. I simply had no particular reasons to be enticed by such things. Today, everything has changed for me. To be perfectly honest, the individual who operated as a catalyzer for me was the cartoonist Craig Adams, who never stops talking about hypnosis and cognitive dissonance. Only today do I realize what he has been trying to say. Another catalyzer, of a more subtle kind, was Rainer Rilke. I'm thinking in particular of his Malte Laurids Brigge and the personage Nikolai Kuzmich.

I'll no doubt have more to say, in the future, about this fascinating theme of memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment